When you turn aging, it is not just about wrinkles and fine lines, but about staying fit and keeping your body moving. Physical activities and better nutrition combine with all healthy lifestyle routines can make a significant difference. Whether you are young or old, fitness pieces of training must have a healthy and fit body. We spoke with experts about the best anti-aging exercises and nutrition to provide you the basic guidelines. The following activities and nutritional guidelines will help you in staying fit as you start aging.
Physical Activities and Exercises to Focus on:
Being physically active has numerous benefits, especially when your age figures are getting high. Engaging muscles in different exercises can help reduce the risk of many diseases that otherwise become a part of your older age. The long-term effects of exercising improve your quality of life and mental health too. If you want to retain your mental health in older age, it is necessary to involve your mind and body in physical activities. Though there are many exercises and things to focus on, below are the major to consider.
- Engage the Major Muscles of Body:
According to experts like Fahmy, these are the primary muscle which starts declining faster as you become aged. The large muscle groups are involved in all the daily movements like pulling, pushing and squatting. Its seen that older people who engage their major muscle groups in physical activities tend to have stronger muscles. Bushman said, “it is like win-win and win when we start looking at the exercise side of the picture.” For example, one of such exercises is resistance training, which engages almost all the body’s significant muscles. Similarly, squatting is also a useful exercise that you can perform with many variations. Depending on your skill level, you can use a rail at home to stabilize your squatting movements, or you can also add weights if you are more advanced.
- Work On Balance:
When you age over 65, falls become the primary concern, which leads to bone breakages or head injuries. Sometimes you may feel imbalances, or you can’t catch yourself as you used to before. Several exercises will help you in maintaining your balance even in old age. But, first, you need to understand your fitness level before you begin these exercises.
You can also use equipment like Yoga Ball, which helps you in balance trainings. Make sure you get a better yoga ball if you already have fall issues.
- Focus on Core and Back:
Strong core and back is the best asset. It can help you get a better posture and reduce back pain. The core is made from many muscles, so you shouldn’t be doing activities targeting one specific area like sit-ups. There are many exercises that engage the entire muscle group at once. Some of such exercises are listed below:
- Plank adds strength and endurance to your abs, back, and core. It is best for conditioning your core.
- Body Saw, which works to build both core strength and stability.
- Leg Raise hits the lower abdominal muscles to strengthen your back and helps in core stability.
- Start Stretching:
A flexible body can help you live the extra number of years. It should be at the core of any exercise, whether it’s anti-aging or losing weight. Stretching is vital to focus on, especially if you want better mobility throughout your life. According to Bushman (Fitness Expert), you must include stretching at least two days a week. It is better to hold the stretch position from 30 to 60 seconds for effective muscle movements. One of the common stretches is a static pectoral stretch for the upper body. The calf stretch help prevents injuries to the lower body.
Nutrition For Anti Aging
Our whole life is all about how we eat? You might see the effect of your food plate in the mirror. But it affects your skin, youthfulness, and body health in the long term. A better and healthy diet supports normal growth and development, helps to maintain body weight and aging. Nutrition can directly help you reduce the risk of chronic disease. So, the key to a healthy and fit body throughout your life is healthy eating. Can you imagine yourself look old and weak because you’re eating crap like trans-fats? For example, ingesting white poisons, i.e., White Sugar and White Salt, can damage your skin collagen and put your overall health at risk. Processed foods directly lead to diseases like diabetes and heart failure. So, in the below section, there are two categories of food which you should avoid and which you should take.
Food to Limit:
- Sugary Drinks is one of the worst components in our diet routines. The liquid calories are not counted as food by the brain, so you increase the harmful calories. A large intake of sugary foods leads to insulin resistance and fatty liver disease.
- Fried or Grilled, or Broiled foods are among the unhealthiest intakes. When food is cooked with these methods, they become calorie-dense and may also produce harmful chemicals which weakens your body, and you become aged faster.
- Bakery items are usually made with refined and processed raw materials. These items are only full of calories and fats with added preservatives. The excess of these unhealthy nutrients increases body fats and obesity and ultimately hinders your healthy life.
Foods To Take:
I have comprehensively listed the essential nutrients you need for anti-aging.
- Watercress is nutrient-dense, which delivers every mineral to each cell of the body. Hydration with essential nutrients and minerals feed your body the best, which lowers the aging pace.
- Fruits and nuts are full of nutrition and a good source of all the essential vitamins. This nutrition helps repair the skin and tissues, strengthen skin membrane cells, and contain age-defying antioxidants.
- Green Veggies contain a large number of antioxidants, which help to oxygenate and replenish the entire body. These antioxidants help reduce inflammation in cells and fight the free radicals acting as the significant anti-aging components.